The National Water Development Agency (NWDA), a Registered Society under the then Ministry of Irrigation [now Department of Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation (DoWR, RD&GR) under Ministry of Jal Shakti (MoJS)] was set up in the year 1982 to carry out detailed studies, surveys and investigations in respect of Peninsular Component under National Perspective Plan (NPP) for Water Resources Development. The functions of NWDA were published under para 4 of the Gazette Notification No. 1 (7)/80-PP dated 26.08.1981. The Government subsequently modified the functions of NWDA to include the Himalayan Component of the NPP for Water Resources Development through the Resolution No. 22/27/92-BM dated 11th March, 1994, composition of Society and Governing Body contained in Para 3 & 5 of the Resolution No. 1(7)/80-PP dated 26.08.1981 through the Resolution Nos. 2/9/2002-BM dated 13th Feb, 2003 and 12th March, 2004 and modified the functions of NWDA to include the activity to prepare the Detailed Project Report (DPR) of River Link proposals under the NPP for Water Resources Development after concurrence of the concerned States vide Notification No. 2/18/2005-BM dated 30.11.2006. Further, with the concurrence of the concerned co-basin States the preparation of DPRs of Intra-State links as may be proposed by the States was added in the functions of NWDA vide Resolution No. 2/18/2005-BM/943 dated 19th May, 2011. Further, two more new functions in the mandate of NWDA were added vide Gazette Notification No. 2/17/2016-BM dated 07.10.2016 viz., (i) to undertake/ construct/repair/renovate/rehabilitate/implement the projects under Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojna (PMKSY) and (ii) to act as a repository of borrowed funds or money received on deposit or loan given on interest to secure the repayment of any such borrowed funds/money/deposit/loan etc. for the execution of projects.
It has now been decided to further amend the function (d) of NWDA i.e. “To prepare DPR of river link proposals under the NPP for Water Resources Development after concurrence of the concerned States” as “To carry out surveys & investigations work and prepare DPRs of river link proposals under the NPP for Water Resources Development and thereafter approach concerned States for obtaining concurrence for implementation of the project”, vide Gazette of India Notification, Ministry of Jal Shakti, Department of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation dated 16th March, 2020.
To enable NWDA to undertake above activities, functions are modified as under:
- To carry out detailed survey and investigations of possible reservoir sites and interconnecting links in order to establish feasibility of the proposal of Peninsular Rivers Development and Himalayan Rivers Development Components forming part of the National Perspective for Water Resources Development prepared by the then Ministry of Irrigation (now DoWR, RD&GR, MoJS) and Central Water Commission.
- To carry out detailed studies about the quantum of water in various Peninsular River systems and Himalayan River systems which can be transferred to other basins/States after meeting the reasonable needs of the basin/States in the foreseeable future.
- To prepare feasibility report of the various components of the scheme relating to Peninsular Rivers development and Himalayan Rivers development.
- To carry out surveys & investigations work and prepare DPRs of river link proposals under the NPP for Water Resources Development and thereafter approach concerned States for obtaining concurrence for implementation of the project.
- To prepare Pre–Feasibility Reports(PFRs)/Feasibility Reports(FRs)/DPRs of the Intra-State links as may be proposed by the States. The concurrence of the concerned co-basin States for such proposals may be obtained before taking up their FRs / DPRs.
- To undertake/construct/repair/renovate/rehabilitate/implement the projects either of its own or through an appointed Agency/Organizations/PSU or Company and the projects forming part of Interlinking of Rivers, for completion of projects falling under Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojna (PMKSY) of which projects under Accelerated Irrigation Benefits Programme (AIBP) are also included and similar other projects .
- NWDA to act as a repository of borrowed funds or money received on deposit or loan given on interest or otherwise in such manner, as directed by MoWR, RD&GR (now DoWR, RD&GR, MoJS) and to secure the repayment of any such borrowed funds/money deposits/ loan etc. by way of mortgage, pledge, change or lien upon all or any other property, assets or revenue of the society both present and future.
- To do all such other things the Society may consider necessary, incidental, supplementary or conducive to the attainment of above objectives.